Friday, January 25, 2008

My Top 10 Movies of 2007 (That I've been able to see so far)

10. The Simpson Movie: Almost 20 years in the making, this actually turned out to be a decent film and not just a two hour rehash of old material. I don't usually laugh out loud when I see comedies by myself in the theatre, but this was an exception to the rule.
9. The Host: Who knew that a Korean monster movie would make my list? I sure didn't. Best creature flick since Tremors.
8. The Bourn Ultimatum: If you told me seven years ago that Matt Damon would crank out a butt-kick franchise better than the recent James Bond series I would laugh in your face. Here is exhibit number three of that gaffe.
7. Waitress: Don't watch unless you want to crave pie for the following month.
6. 3:10 To Yuma: Thank you James Mangold, for bringing back the Western.
5. Hot Fuzz: The British + warm guns = happiness
4. Juno: Quirky script and amazing character development. Yes...I laughed audibly at this movie as well.
3. Ratatouille: Suddenly I don't feel so paranoid and disgusted by the possibility of rats in a restaurant kitchen.
2. No Country For Old Men: Tommy Lee Jones's monologue at story's denouement continues to haunt me to this very moment. A fine work from my favorite Director/Producer duo: the Coen Brothers.
1. There Will Be Blood: I can probably count on both my hands the performances/actors that I have seen in film that have completely floored me and left me with a new appreciation for the craft of acting. Daniel Day-Lewis is one of them. The films of P.T. Anderson all have a residual sorrow that leave the viewer (or at least myself) in a sort of spiritual malaise. You associate so easily and magnificently with the characters, that their tragedy, to some extent, becomes your own tragedy.

Note: These are movies that I personally enjoyed but do not necessarily recommend to EVERYBODY. Pick and choose at your own discretion. Thank you.

9 comments:

In the Mix said...

when did you see Juno?

linda jean said...

Have you seen Once?

Stephen and Gracie said...

I CAN'T BELIEVE Miss Potter with Rene Z. didn't make the list. Are you kidding me? That said, with movie watching, I am still stuck back somewhere around 1997.

Anselm said...

I haven't seen Once or Miss Potter yet. They are in my queue though.

Trinket said...

Have you seen the U23D movie? It's fantastic! (I guess that would be from 2008, but we just saw it, so I'm excited.) By the way, happy (very late) birthday!

Anselm said...

Thanks, Trinket. No, I haven't seen U23D yet, but I plan on making the pilgrimage to the closest IMAX ASAP.

Jai Yen Yen said...

I watched There Will Be Blood b/c of this blog. Thank you! I've realized that being in a perpetual state of drunkenness is not worth it.

Jai Yen Yen said...

oh, and i watched U23D this weekend and I'm still on a high. Do it.

You can call me Kentolla said...

All I have to say is "King of Kong"...

Saw it, loved it...